This is a projection, in red, of a 1 meter sea level rise on the coastal area I grew up in. The horseshoe shaped area just under and to the right of "Georgia" is where my family home is, though we no longer own it thankfully. I fully expect to see this amount of sea level rise in my lifetime.
I produced this at The University of Arizona Department of GeoSciences Environmental Studies Laboratory website. It is an interactive map with which you can see the effects of varying levels of sea level rise on coastal regions of the world. Find your favorite sea side vacation spot and watch it go under! Hmmm... now where will all those people go?
"Results indicate that the earth will be warm enough in less than 150 years (assuming no reduction in greenhouse gas emissions) to significantly melt the Greenland Ice Cap. This change could also lead to four to six meters of sea level rise at rates of up to two to five centimeters per year... 1 meter = 3.28 feet, 6 meters = 19.68 feet " - Architecture 2030
What have you done today to lower your impact?
We are washing away the foundations of our existence on every front. It is high time we move from crashing about on the planet like a bull in china shop and find a way to go forward with intent. We must find systems of living based on sustainability. The systems and tools exist, it is up to each of us to adopt them.
- ► 2012 (12)
- ► 2011 (60)
- ► 2010 (159)
- Why Sustainable living?
- What is Green Energy?
- I might have spoke too soon about Vilsack
- It's a good day at the USDA
- Sustainable development in Bermuda?
- Local Food in Bermuda
- Yowza! Sounds like science fiction but it isn't
- WWF's Earth Hour 2009
- Recommended gardening website
- Geoengineering, Sequestering Crops, Another Bad Id...
- James Hansen: The Sword of Damocles from Celsias.c...
- GM crops increase pesticide use
- Good news for a change
- UK Commitment to Efficiency
- When it comes to power generation-Small is Beautif...
- While away the hours looking into the future
- Scientists to speak out
- The Crimes of Monsanto
- A Living Nightmare
- The US can reduce energy use by 30% through effici...
- Sustainable agriculture = sustainable food supply
- It's Cold Outside
- Coal or Aviation?
- British Columbia Coastline Faces Being Shaken and ...
- ▼ February (24)