Gwynne Dyer's article regarding choosing to focus on the threats from Coal or the threats from Aviation makes some good points. She quotes James Hansen,
"Coal is 80 percent of the planet's problems," he said in an interview with The Observer. "You have to keep your eye on the ball and not waste your efforts. The number one enemy is coal and we should not forget that."
and discusses the third runway protests at Heathrow. I largely agree. We need to stay focused on leaving coal in the ground, whatever it takes. For most of us that will involve getting active in the effort to end our dependence on coal as well as reducing demand significantly in our personal lives. You could also install renewable energy on your home. But letting aviation off the hook completely seems a bit wrong headed. We need to deal with the problem on every front. We all need to fly less.
I say this, somewhat guiltily, at a moment in my life when flying is again becoming imminent as we are moving to Bermuda for a job and I will go the states to see my family while there. I have reduced my flying by almost 50% since moving to England and hope to make this next trip my last on an airliner but I still wish I had some other alternative. We investigated sea travel but the time of year was wrong even though we were prepared to pay more for it. I will however attempt to crew on a sailboat to the states for the family trip.
Anyway, read the article and judge for yourself.
What have you done today to lower your impact?
We are washing away the foundations of our existence on every front. It is high time we move from crashing about on the planet like a bull in china shop and find a way to go forward with intent. We must find systems of living based on sustainability. The systems and tools exist, it is up to each of us to adopt them.
- ► 2012 (12)
- ► 2011 (60)
- ► 2010 (159)
- Why Sustainable living?
- What is Green Energy?
- I might have spoke too soon about Vilsack
- It's a good day at the USDA
- Sustainable development in Bermuda?
- Local Food in Bermuda
- Yowza! Sounds like science fiction but it isn't
- WWF's Earth Hour 2009
- Recommended gardening website
- Geoengineering, Sequestering Crops, Another Bad Id...
- James Hansen: The Sword of Damocles from Celsias.c...
- GM crops increase pesticide use
- Good news for a change
- UK Commitment to Efficiency
- When it comes to power generation-Small is Beautif...
- While away the hours looking into the future
- Scientists to speak out
- The Crimes of Monsanto
- A Living Nightmare
- The US can reduce energy use by 30% through effici...
- Sustainable agriculture = sustainable food supply
- It's Cold Outside
- Coal or Aviation?
- British Columbia Coastline Faces Being Shaken and ...
- ▼ February (24)