"We live off of what comes out of the soil, not what's in the bank. If we squander the ecological capital of the soil, the capital on paper won't much matter... For the past 50 or 60 years, we have followed industrialized agricultural policies that have increased the rate of destruction of productive farmland. For those 50 or 60 years, we have let ourselves believe the absurd notion that as long as we have money we will have food. If we continue our offenses against the land and the labor by which we are fed, the food supply will decline, and we will have a problem far more complex than the failure of our paper economy. Remember, if our agriculture is not sustainable then our food supply is not sustainable... Either we pay attention or we pay a huge price, not so far down the road. When we face the fact that civilizations have destroyed themselves by destroying their farmland, it's clear that we don't really have a choice." - Wes Jackson of the Land Insitute
Read the rest of the interview at Organic Consumers Association
What have you done today to lower your impact?
We are washing away the foundations of our existence on every front. It is high time we move from crashing about on the planet like a bull in china shop and find a way to go forward with intent. We must find systems of living based on sustainability. The systems and tools exist, it is up to each of us to adopt them.
- ► 2012 (12)
- ► 2011 (60)
- ► 2010 (159)
- Why Sustainable living?
- What is Green Energy?
- I might have spoke too soon about Vilsack
- It's a good day at the USDA
- Sustainable development in Bermuda?
- Local Food in Bermuda
- Yowza! Sounds like science fiction but it isn't
- WWF's Earth Hour 2009
- Recommended gardening website
- Geoengineering, Sequestering Crops, Another Bad Id...
- James Hansen: The Sword of Damocles from Celsias.c...
- GM crops increase pesticide use
- Good news for a change
- UK Commitment to Efficiency
- When it comes to power generation-Small is Beautif...
- While away the hours looking into the future
- Scientists to speak out
- The Crimes of Monsanto
- A Living Nightmare
- The US can reduce energy use by 30% through effici...
- Sustainable agriculture = sustainable food supply
- It's Cold Outside
- Coal or Aviation?
- British Columbia Coastline Faces Being Shaken and ...
- ▼ February (24)