After too many years making my living in dark theatres, feeling guilty about the massive waste of resources that went into mounting a show, making an ass of myself (if even if only to myself) by over analysing some poor performer just doing his or her best, stressing myself out over live performance I seemed to be the only one who felt underrehearsed for, shifting uncomfortably in my seat at a variety of performances that fell short of the mark or even worse hit the bullsey dead on, I have practically given up on attending live performance of any kind. And lately I find myself missing it. I'm even missing participating in live performance, the thing that usually stresses me out more than anything I can remember. I've struggled to justify to myself the energy I am willing to put into preparing for performance, to assign value to youth theatre, to get comfortable with the blatant expression of ego sometimes necessary to produce a good performance, all the while realizing that the immediacy of live performance is true performance, real story telling, that it has the potential to be life changing for performer and audience. Ben Cameron has helped to cement this feeling with this talk. Enjoy!
Here's a link to one of my favorite recording projects I worked on, a good reminder for why I did that sort of thing.
What have you done today to lower your impact?
We are washing away the foundations of our existence on every front. It is high time we move from crashing about on the planet like a bull in china shop and find a way to go forward with intent. We must find systems of living based on sustainability. The systems and tools exist, it is up to each of us to adopt them.
- ► 2012 (12)
- ► 2011 (60)
- Video - Once in a lifetime
- Vote for completion, and against racism and the wa...
- Video - Climate Denial Crock of the Week - Extinct...
- Relish, rain, and clean fresh air
- Video - This is What Global Warming looks like.
- Video - Breathe
- Video - Imagine
- Today is the International Day Against Monoculture...
- My love/hate relationship with the arts. Video - B...
- Video - Good design, daylighting, and learning
- Video - The Miniature Earth . 2010 edition . Off...
- Yowza! A marathon canning session.
- Video - Genetic engineering: The world's greates...
- Taking my time
- A catchy tune, World Peak Oil Song
- It's great to stay at home
- August 2010 at the Sustainable Living Project
- ▼ September (17)
- ► 2009 (353)