What have you done today to lower your impact?

We are washing away the foundations of our existence on every front. It is high time we move from crashing about on the planet like a bull in china shop and find a way to go forward with intent. We must find systems of living based on sustainability. The systems and tools exist, it is up to each of us to adopt them.

Blog Archive

Wednesday 1 September 2010

August 2010 at the Sustainable Living Project

  During the month we've managed to build another raised bed and start building some soil with a compost heap inside it, done some canning, made pesto,and purchased and set up another rental property. Much appreciation to Mike Kelly over at Hickory Real Estate Group for finding us that property.



Today it's September and Dang! It's getting into the 90's again here at the Sustainable living project. I've got to get over to Duplex #1 and cut the lawn, once the grass dries, which should be around midday. The Neuton CE6 electric mower is working a treat. I can mow a lawn in half the time and have some energy left over.

We've got Duplex #2 ready to rent, one side will be occupied today. So now we get back to work at home. This morning I've watered all the beds and potted plants, cut and stacked some firewood, levelled out a site for starting the grape arbor/terrace foundation, setup the rain barrels with siphon hoses and screen in an attempt to prevent mosquitoes from breeding. Jacq has been weeding and pulling the decimated pumpkin plants. We had an infestation of squash bugs but still got upwards of 100 lbs of pumpkins and 30 of winter squash. The beans keep coming in, today is Jacq's turn to pick. We've still got a list as long as my arm but it's nice to have the opportunity to get back to it.


We've just about decided to keep Annie the dog. She has no bad habits, is mildly protective, and very sweet. We are happy to have her around to keep us company and she seems happy to have built a pack with us.

I'm almost finished the book I've linked to below. It helps remind me that I've got it easy compared to those folks. It's good read if you are interested in self reliance.

2 comments:

Jason Parrish said...

I have found that if you use 4 inch corrugated pipe you can slide it over your down pipe, and cut a hole in the top of a plastic barrel. It fit perfectly and no worries with mosquitoes breeding in the barrels.

C Robb said...

Thanks, Sounds like a plan. I'm currently not collecting from our downspouts because we have asphalt tile roofing and I don't want the hydrocarbon residue in my food growing soil. I collect the drip runoff from our metal roofed carport into 30gallon trash cans. I've linked them with hose and put screen under the lids in an effort to control the mossies. It's better but not perfect yet. I think I need to use fittings to connect them near the bottom and some sort of seal at the lid. Hopefully before the next mosq season we will have a metal roof and a proper rainwater system.