Our efforts to get a Transition Initiative started in Bermuda are bearing fruit. Our steering committee has grown by 1/3, from 2 to 3! We have expressions of interest from more and more folks and requests to present our short talk are starting to come in.
For those of you who don't know. Transition is about planning a path to resilience in the face of the challenges presented by the hydrocarbon twins, peak oil and climate change. We try to avoid debating the truth of both, rather to focus on practical actions that can lead to an energy descent action plan. One example is the nut tree project in Totnes, the first transition town.
When Totnes was looking for a project that embodies resilience and local economy they decided to become the Nut Tree Capital of Britain. Some of the trees are now bearing fruit. Here is an excerpt from Rob Hopkins blog, Transition Culture, on the topic;
"Over 100 trees have now been planted, most of them having a ‘guardian’, whose job it is to keep an eye on them. In one park, a line of 3 almond trees, it turned out, have begun to bear fruit!...Of course Totnes is not going to ever provide the bulk of its carbohydrates from nuts, but it could be a significant contribution. My mission for the next couple of weeks is to work out how much of a contribution the trees already planted will make when fully grown. It’ll be interesting to see how many more trees we need to plant! For now though I can relax safe in the knowledge that even if TTT ceases to exist in the morning, future generations will be able to feast on almond, walnuts and chestnuts planted during the early years of the great Transition."
In searching for an initial project for Transition Bermuda we seem to be in agreement that it should be focused on local food. I've suggested a linkup with the National Trust to establish historically authentic kitchen gardens on several of their properties. I'm sure whatever we decide upon will involve growing food as the majority of our personnel are involved in growing food at some level.
At our next meeting we intend to show the video "The Power of Community- How Cuba Survived Peak Oil". We'll probably also do our short talk on PO, CC and Transition if there are new folks present.
What have you done today to lower your impact?
We are washing away the foundations of our existence on every front. It is high time we move from crashing about on the planet like a bull in china shop and find a way to go forward with intent. We must find systems of living based on sustainability. The systems and tools exist, it is up to each of us to adopt them.
- ► 2012 (12)
- ► 2011 (60)
- ► 2010 (159)
- Are you qualified or important enough to know abou...
- Video - How to Boil A Frog presents Anita Burke
- Video - Copenhagen Kids
- Write on Repower America's wall
- Video - CNN's Gupta: Sugary Drink Tax Needed
- Junk food taxes? An idea whose time has come.
- Is there a happy ending?
- Video - Vulnerable Customers and Fuel Poverty
- Fuel Poverty Worsens in the UK
- Video - Economics & Government : What Is Environme...
- The hidden costs of burning fossil fuels
- Video - NWF Climate Scientist on Latest Sea Level ...
- Sea level rise and you
- Video - New Solar Powered Clothes Dryer - The Clot...
- Save the Clotheslines!
- Video - The Connection Show - Organic, Local, Farm...
- World Food Day - Organic Is the Answer to Food Sec...
- Video - Transition Westcliff - Life After Oil
- Transition Bermuda update
- Video - Transition TV - Eat the Suburbs: Gardening...
- Video - Acid Test: The Global Challenge of Ocean A...
- Our Oceans need our help
- Video - Geoff Lawton at the Permaculture Research ...
- Permaculture, self reliance and growing your own.
- WE NEED A PUBLIC OPTION!
- Video - Alan Grayson: "If the President has a BLT ...
- Video - Break Up with the U.S. Chamber of Commerce...
- "Green" companies still supporting US Chamber psue...
- Video - Peak Oil Visually Explained
- Is Peak Oil going mainstream?
- Video - Wind Farm in My Backyard: ScienCentral Rep...
- Video - Just a little fun - If Star Wars was writt...
- The potential of the US wind resource
- Video - Greenpeace - How cattle ranching is destro...
- Land use, climate change and our future.
- Video - The Story of Stuff
- GHG Emissions from products and packaging
- Slideshow - PCI - The future is all about resilien...
- Happy Birthday to the Mahatma
- Video - Organic Farming Lessens Global Warming
- Carbon sequestration in natural systems
- ▼ October (43)