Lester Brown of the Earth Policy Institute and author of Plan B 4.0 (free download) told NPR's Ira Flatow on Science Friday (listen to the whole interview on my audio player above)
"We've known for nearly 20 years now that 3 states, N Dakota, Kansas, and Texas have enough harnessable wind energy, to satisfy not only the national electricity needs but national energy needs."
Is it any wonder BIG oil and dirty coal is spending millions lobbying for protection against climate legislation? Once Manhattan starts going under, after Miami FL, Savannah GA (my home town), the outer banks of the NC are lost to a storm surge on top of sea level rise, when climate refugees are a fact of life not just in Bangladesh but in the US, dirty coal is doomed. Because at that point people will finally realize that using their tumble dryer instead of a clothes line really isn't a sacrifice whereas losing coastal cities certainly is, that growing veggies in an organic garden makes so much more sense than having a petrochemical dumping ground called a lawn. The problem is that by that point it will be too late.
What have you done today to lower your impact?
We are washing away the foundations of our existence on every front. It is high time we move from crashing about on the planet like a bull in china shop and find a way to go forward with intent. We must find systems of living based on sustainability. The systems and tools exist, it is up to each of us to adopt them.
- December (4)
- November (3)
- October (4)
- September (6)
- August (14)
- July (4)
- June (7)
- May (5)
- April (6)
- March (2)
- February (2)
- January (3)
- December (6)
- November (7)
- October (9)
- September (17)
- August (10)
- July (13)
- June (11)
- May (14)
- April (19)
- March (26)
- February (17)
- January (10)
- December (27)
- November (23)
- Are you qualified or important enough to know abou...
- Video - How to Boil A Frog presents Anita Burke
- Video - Copenhagen Kids
- Write on Repower America's wall
- Video - CNN's Gupta: Sugary Drink Tax Needed
- Junk food taxes? An idea whose time has come.
- Is there a happy ending?
- Video - Vulnerable Customers and Fuel Poverty
- Fuel Poverty Worsens in the UK
- Video - Economics & Government : What Is Environme...
- The hidden costs of burning fossil fuels
- Video - NWF Climate Scientist on Latest Sea Level ...
- Sea level rise and you
- Video - New Solar Powered Clothes Dryer - The Clot...
- Save the Clotheslines!
- Video - The Connection Show - Organic, Local, Farm...
- World Food Day - Organic Is the Answer to Food Sec...
- Video - Transition Westcliff - Life After Oil
- Transition Bermuda update
- Video - Transition TV - Eat the Suburbs: Gardening...
- Video - Acid Test: The Global Challenge of Ocean A...
- Our Oceans need our help
- Video - Geoff Lawton at the Permaculture Research ...
- Permaculture, self reliance and growing your own.
- WE NEED A PUBLIC OPTION!
- Video - Alan Grayson: "If the President has a BLT ...
- Video - Break Up with the U.S. Chamber of Commerce...
- "Green" companies still supporting US Chamber psue...
- Video - Peak Oil Visually Explained
- Is Peak Oil going mainstream?
- Video - Wind Farm in My Backyard: ScienCentral Rep...
- Video - Just a little fun - If Star Wars was writt...
- The potential of the US wind resource
- Video - Greenpeace - How cattle ranching is destro...
- Land use, climate change and our future.
- Video - The Story of Stuff
- GHG Emissions from products and packaging
- Slideshow - PCI - The future is all about resilien...
- Happy Birthday to the Mahatma
- Video - Organic Farming Lessens Global Warming
- Carbon sequestration in natural systems
- September (44)
- August (17)
- July (12)
- June (34)
- May (38)
- April (18)
- March (46)
- February (24)
- January (27)