I've tried to stay our of the health care debate for the most part. I assumed that after all was said and done there would be a massive handout to the insurance industry but the package would include a public option that would serve to reign in the worst of their profit mongering at the expense of the sick. Now it seems they have achieved their hearts desire, the public option may not be an option but we will be required to purchase health insurance from the very corporate bandits that have brought us to this impasse!
So I am wading in on the issue. Here we are coming up to the Copenhagen Climate Summit and what are we doing, arguing about whether or not every American should have access to compassionate, affordable health care! Would anyone disagree with that? Of course not, so what are we waiting for.
The facts are that the most popular and dependable health care service in the country is Medicare, a government run program. The least popular are the plans run by insurance companies because they are only in it for the money, their plans have higher administrative expenses than medicare and you can't depend on them for coverage. Prior to the financial meltdown the most common cause for home default and foreclosure in America was medical expenses, and the majority of those people had health insurance!
The solution is obvious, countries with public health care pay less for it and have higher quality care. Remove the profit motive from health care, it is clearly ruining lives, if not outright killing people. It is immoral to profit from the suffering of others. We Need A Public Option!
What have you done today to lower your impact?
We are washing away the foundations of our existence on every front. It is high time we move from crashing about on the planet like a bull in china shop and find a way to go forward with intent. We must find systems of living based on sustainability. The systems and tools exist, it is up to each of us to adopt them.
- ► 2012 (12)
- ► 2011 (60)
- ► 2010 (159)
- Are you qualified or important enough to know abou...
- Video - How to Boil A Frog presents Anita Burke
- Video - Copenhagen Kids
- Write on Repower America's wall
- Video - CNN's Gupta: Sugary Drink Tax Needed
- Junk food taxes? An idea whose time has come.
- Is there a happy ending?
- Video - Vulnerable Customers and Fuel Poverty
- Fuel Poverty Worsens in the UK
- Video - Economics & Government : What Is Environme...
- The hidden costs of burning fossil fuels
- Video - NWF Climate Scientist on Latest Sea Level ...
- Sea level rise and you
- Video - New Solar Powered Clothes Dryer - The Clot...
- Save the Clotheslines!
- Video - The Connection Show - Organic, Local, Farm...
- World Food Day - Organic Is the Answer to Food Sec...
- Video - Transition Westcliff - Life After Oil
- Transition Bermuda update
- Video - Transition TV - Eat the Suburbs: Gardening...
- Video - Acid Test: The Global Challenge of Ocean A...
- Our Oceans need our help
- Video - Geoff Lawton at the Permaculture Research ...
- Permaculture, self reliance and growing your own.
- WE NEED A PUBLIC OPTION!
- Video - Alan Grayson: "If the President has a BLT ...
- Video - Break Up with the U.S. Chamber of Commerce...
- "Green" companies still supporting US Chamber psue...
- Video - Peak Oil Visually Explained
- Is Peak Oil going mainstream?
- Video - Wind Farm in My Backyard: ScienCentral Rep...
- Video - Just a little fun - If Star Wars was writt...
- The potential of the US wind resource
- Video - Greenpeace - How cattle ranching is destro...
- Land use, climate change and our future.
- Video - The Story of Stuff
- GHG Emissions from products and packaging
- Slideshow - PCI - The future is all about resilien...
- Happy Birthday to the Mahatma
- Video - Organic Farming Lessens Global Warming
- Carbon sequestration in natural systems
- ▼ October (43)