Not much gives me more moderate grade pleasure than hanging my laundry out in the fresh breeze and sunshine. I enjoy the doing of it, I enjoy knowing my clothes will smell fresh and clean, I enjoy knowing that I myself haven't used a tumble dryer in well over a year, knowing that a tumble dryer can account for upwards of 10% or more of household electricity usage and it's attendant carbon emissions. Among my friends I've been advocating for the abolition of tumble dryers for some time now but it seems there are still communities that remain in the stone/dirty coal age when it comes to drying clothes. Indeed, it is still ILLEGAL! to use a clothesline in some places.
This has prompted some states to ban the ban, as reported over at Care2 Causes by Beth B.
"You are officially invited to join the fight to legalize it...again. No, we're not talking about the smokable plant that's gotten so many politicians in hot water. We're talking about the good old fashioned clothes line.
As families all over the nation seek out different ways to reduce their carbon footprint and save money by using less energy, many have decided to return to hanging their clothes outside to dry them. However, many have met with great disappointment when homeowner's associations and community management services have told them the lines are not allowed.
Treehugger.com reports that, "hanging clotheslines was against the rules in so many communities nationwide that state governments are being forced to step in and make it against the law to ban them. And states like Vermont and Utah have already succeeded. But the fight for the right to hang clotheslines is just getting started."
What have you done today to lower your impact?
We are washing away the foundations of our existence on every front. It is high time we move from crashing about on the planet like a bull in china shop and find a way to go forward with intent. We must find systems of living based on sustainability. The systems and tools exist, it is up to each of us to adopt them.
- December (4)
- November (3)
- October (4)
- September (6)
- August (14)
- July (4)
- June (7)
- May (5)
- April (6)
- March (2)
- February (2)
- January (3)
- December (6)
- November (7)
- October (9)
- September (17)
- August (10)
- July (13)
- June (11)
- May (14)
- April (19)
- March (26)
- February (17)
- January (10)
- December (27)
- November (23)
- Are you qualified or important enough to know abou...
- Video - How to Boil A Frog presents Anita Burke
- Video - Copenhagen Kids
- Write on Repower America's wall
- Video - CNN's Gupta: Sugary Drink Tax Needed
- Junk food taxes? An idea whose time has come.
- Is there a happy ending?
- Video - Vulnerable Customers and Fuel Poverty
- Fuel Poverty Worsens in the UK
- Video - Economics & Government : What Is Environme...
- The hidden costs of burning fossil fuels
- Video - NWF Climate Scientist on Latest Sea Level ...
- Sea level rise and you
- Video - New Solar Powered Clothes Dryer - The Clot...
- Save the Clotheslines!
- Video - The Connection Show - Organic, Local, Farm...
- World Food Day - Organic Is the Answer to Food Sec...
- Video - Transition Westcliff - Life After Oil
- Transition Bermuda update
- Video - Transition TV - Eat the Suburbs: Gardening...
- Video - Acid Test: The Global Challenge of Ocean A...
- Our Oceans need our help
- Video - Geoff Lawton at the Permaculture Research ...
- Permaculture, self reliance and growing your own.
- WE NEED A PUBLIC OPTION!
- Video - Alan Grayson: "If the President has a BLT ...
- Video - Break Up with the U.S. Chamber of Commerce...
- "Green" companies still supporting US Chamber psue...
- Video - Peak Oil Visually Explained
- Is Peak Oil going mainstream?
- Video - Wind Farm in My Backyard: ScienCentral Rep...
- Video - Just a little fun - If Star Wars was writt...
- The potential of the US wind resource
- Video - Greenpeace - How cattle ranching is destro...
- Land use, climate change and our future.
- Video - The Story of Stuff
- GHG Emissions from products and packaging
- Slideshow - PCI - The future is all about resilien...
- Happy Birthday to the Mahatma
- Video - Organic Farming Lessens Global Warming
- Carbon sequestration in natural systems
- September (44)
- August (17)
- July (12)
- June (34)
- May (38)
- April (18)
- March (46)
- February (24)
- January (27)