What have you done today to lower your impact?

We are washing away the foundations of our existence on every front. It is high time we move from crashing about on the planet like a bull in china shop and find a way to go forward with intent. We must find systems of living based on sustainability. The systems and tools exist, it is up to each of us to adopt them.

Blog Archive

Saturday 18 April 2009

Re-use is cool too!

Most regular readers of this blog will know that I favour and advocate Reduce over Re-use and Re-cycle. The reason being that every item you purchase has a carbon footprint and the less you buy the less your own carbon footprint will be. In addition, by refusing to buy needless stuff you are sending a message to the economy to stop producing it.

There are times however when a project must be done. I am currently in the process of building some raised beds, for veggie production of course, for my sister and her family here in Hickory NC. She had an old childrens' playset made of redwood that she wanted taken down and disposed of. I suggested that we re-use the wood to make the raised beds. I'll post some photo's when it is done. We are also re-using the hardware from the playset; lag bolts, thru bolts, and angle brackets. I've used them to fix her fence, rebuild a gate and repair several others, and fixed a broken table inside the house. I have unfortunately had to purchase some deck screws. I've also taken this opportunity to put up a clothesline, for my own use if not for theirs. I figure the carbon savings from not using the tumble dryer will more than offset the 6 dollar investment in the hardware, two hooks, a turnbuckle, and the cotton clothesline just in the two weeks left that I'm here to use it.

The point is, I love to re-use stuff, not as much as I love to reduce but it warms the cockles of my heart to see something get it's usable life extended. Here's a link to an interesting article about re-using on a commercial scale. It's over on,

Worldchanging

No comments: