Check out this video regarding Peak Oil and preparing for it. It is from Post Peak Living
Thanks to Dr. Clifford Wirth over at Surviving Peak Oil for the heads up on this excellent and informative video. Here's an excerpt of what he has to say on his post about the video;
"Preparing for a Post Peak Life Video: Why You Should Prepare and How You Should Get Started" provides good explanations of Peak Oil, the economy, and basic preparations.
But don't count on jobs in the renewable energy sector, as those jobs will be among the first to disappear.
Also, the authors do not focus on the reality of a final power blackout and a fast collapse at some point. Richard Heinberg appears to forecast this collapse between now and 2030. I guesstimate the collapse will occur before 2020. After this, things will get "challenging."
We are facing the collapse of the highways that depend on diesel trucks for maintenance of bridges, cleaning culverts to avoid road washouts, snow plowing, roadbed and surface repair. When the highways fail, so will the power grid, as highways carry the parts, transformers, steel for pylons, and high tension cables, all from far away. With the highways out, there will be no food coming in from "outside," and without the power grid virtually nothing works, including home heating, irrigation, water and waste water treatment, pumping of gasoline and diesel, airports, communications, and automated systems. This is documented in a free 48 page report that can be downloaded, website posted, distributed, and emailed: http://www.peakoilassociates.com/POAnalysis.html" - Clifford Wirth PhD
What have you done today to lower your impact?
We are washing away the foundations of our existence on every front. It is high time we move from crashing about on the planet like a bull in china shop and find a way to go forward with intent. We must find systems of living based on sustainability. The systems and tools exist, it is up to each of us to adopt them.
- ► 2012 (12)
- ► 2011 (60)
- ► 2010 (159)
- The Idea of Geoengineering is Being Used Dishonest...
- 5 ways you can save Ocean Life
- US may never again need to build a new coal or nuc...
- Scientist Warning of Health Hazards of Monsanto's ...
- Powered by Coal on 60 minutes
- BioChar and the wonders of the soil.
- HOMEGROWN REVOLUTION - Radical Change Taking Root
- Eat the Suburbs: Gardening for the End of the Oil ...
- Really good news! High speed rail for the US
- Re-use is cool too!
- We must put a STOP to the spread of Genetically M...
- The Kitchen Garden w/Geoff Lawton
- Preparing for Peak Oil Video link
- Insulation -Just do it!
- Benefits of air sealing and insulation
- Maintain Freedom to choose not to consume GM Bovin...
- Bermuda Garden progress report
- Conclusive proof of Global Warming
- ▼ April (18)