He threw a spanner in the works of the Bush administration's industry controlled BLM by personally bidding on gas and oil leases being offered in some the of the most beautiful and pristine parts of the canyon country in the southwest. Read more at Huffington Post
Thanks to Rising Tide North America for the image and the text from their post on Mr. Christopher below. Check em out.
"On December 19 Utah resident Tim DeChristopher took creative and effective action to disrupt an auction that was selling off oil and gas leases on hundreds of thousands of acres of public lands in Utah. As around 100 concerned citizens rallied outside opposing the opening up of wilderness areas to the oil and gas industry, Tim entered the auction and started bidding. Time and again he outbid the speculators, and when he failed to outbid them he managed to drive the price way up. According to local news reports he “caused chaos” in the auction room, costing companies hundreds of thousands of dollars and prevented 22,500 acres of land from being developed for fossil fuel extraction (at least for the time being). Tim’s actions were extremely effective at throwing a wrench in the works of the oil and gas industry and he is to be applauded."
What have you done today to lower your impact?
We are washing away the foundations of our existence on every front. It is high time we move from crashing about on the planet like a bull in china shop and find a way to go forward with intent. We must find systems of living based on sustainability. The systems and tools exist, it is up to each of us to adopt them.
- ► 2012 (12)
- ► 2011 (60)
- ► 2010 (159)
- Corn Syrup contaminated with Mercury
- Secrets of a Lunatic Farmer
- Guerrilla gardening for greener cities
- Livestock Stats
- Why Buy Organic?
- Wes and Wendell at NYTimes
- Jane Goodall On Overpopulation on Celsias.com
- Tim DeChristopher, a real American Hero
- Congratualtions World!
- Tips From Organic Consumers Association
- Welcome Tristan Of East Africa Trust
- Start a Farm in the Heart of the City
- Skating on Thin Ice
- Favorite Quote and short discussion
- Save Money and Power: Easy Steps to A Greener Comp...
- Sheffield Star online post #7 - by Robb
- Welcome to Clifford Wirth Ph.D
- Oil peaked in 2008 - by Clifford Wirth Ph.d
- The German Perspective Pt 1: Difficulties with Cli...
- You're eating WHAT?!
- Lord Stern interview on the BBC
- Dirty Coal strikes! Here and Now!
- Give Coal the Boot!
- Fair Trade?
- Ancient Carbon Sequestration technology discovered...
- Bill Moyers interviews Michael Pollan
- First Solar Cargo Ship sets sail
- ▼ January (27)