Industrial agriculture has had some spectacular failures of late, contaminated tomatoes, contaminated spinach, deadly beef. Now they want to irradiate our vegetables, and kill it's nutritive qualities in the process, to kill contamination after the fact rather than cleaning up their act.
On top of all that, this new study finds mercury in Corn Syrup, one of the most common ingredients in processed food and many suspect largely responsible for the epidemic rise in diabetes. The answer seems pretty simple to me, buy whole foods, organic and local or better yet grow your own. Check out the article at Organic Consumers Association
High Fructose Corn Syrup Contaminated With Mercury
"Mercury is toxic in all its forms," said IATP's David Wallinga, M.D., and a co-author in both studies. "Given how much high fructose corn syrup is consumed by children, it could be a significant additional source of mercury never before considered. We are calling for immediate changes by industry and the FDA to help stop this avoidable mercury contamination of the food supply."
Have we forgotten Minamata so soon, see picture above. Thanks to RootConcepts.com for the image
What have you done today to lower your impact?
We are washing away the foundations of our existence on every front. It is high time we move from crashing about on the planet like a bull in china shop and find a way to go forward with intent. We must find systems of living based on sustainability. The systems and tools exist, it is up to each of us to adopt them.
- ► 2012 (12)
- ► 2011 (60)
- ► 2010 (159)
- Corn Syrup contaminated with Mercury
- Secrets of a Lunatic Farmer
- Guerrilla gardening for greener cities
- Livestock Stats
- Why Buy Organic?
- Wes and Wendell at NYTimes
- Jane Goodall On Overpopulation on Celsias.com
- Tim DeChristopher, a real American Hero
- Congratualtions World!
- Tips From Organic Consumers Association
- Welcome Tristan Of East Africa Trust
- Start a Farm in the Heart of the City
- Skating on Thin Ice
- Favorite Quote and short discussion
- Save Money and Power: Easy Steps to A Greener Comp...
- Sheffield Star online post #7 - by Robb
- Welcome to Clifford Wirth Ph.D
- Oil peaked in 2008 - by Clifford Wirth Ph.d
- The German Perspective Pt 1: Difficulties with Cli...
- You're eating WHAT?!
- Lord Stern interview on the BBC
- Dirty Coal strikes! Here and Now!
- Give Coal the Boot!
- Fair Trade?
- Ancient Carbon Sequestration technology discovered...
- Bill Moyers interviews Michael Pollan
- First Solar Cargo Ship sets sail
- ▼ January (27)