"On December 22 ... , over 1 billion gallons of toxic coal sludge came cascading through Eastern Tennessee. The tidal wave of sludge toppled houses and dirtied rivers and streams. This toxic coal ash has been stored in an open 40-acre pond next to the 50-year-old power plant. According to State authorities, after the spill there are 54,000 people with contaminated water in Roane County alone, and many more outside the county may also have tainted drinking water." (Gillian Caldwell at Huffington post january 7 2008)
This is appalling. It's not like it wasn't predicted, it was. It's not like we didn't know dirty coal was endangering not only our future here on this planet but mountain communities here and now, we did. The question is, what is being done about it? What are you doing about it?
Here are some things you can do;
take action over at 1Sky
reduce your electrical demand NOW!
contact your electrical supplier and demand that they cease sourcing mountaintop removal coal
Thanks to the Oildrum for the image
What have you done today to lower your impact?
We are washing away the foundations of our existence on every front. It is high time we move from crashing about on the planet like a bull in china shop and find a way to go forward with intent. We must find systems of living based on sustainability. The systems and tools exist, it is up to each of us to adopt them.
- ► 2012 (12)
- ► 2011 (60)
- ► 2010 (159)
- Corn Syrup contaminated with Mercury
- Secrets of a Lunatic Farmer
- Guerrilla gardening for greener cities
- Livestock Stats
- Why Buy Organic?
- Wes and Wendell at NYTimes
- Jane Goodall On Overpopulation on Celsias.com
- Tim DeChristopher, a real American Hero
- Congratualtions World!
- Tips From Organic Consumers Association
- Welcome Tristan Of East Africa Trust
- Start a Farm in the Heart of the City
- Skating on Thin Ice
- Favorite Quote and short discussion
- Save Money and Power: Easy Steps to A Greener Comp...
- Sheffield Star online post #7 - by Robb
- Welcome to Clifford Wirth Ph.D
- Oil peaked in 2008 - by Clifford Wirth Ph.d
- The German Perspective Pt 1: Difficulties with Cli...
- You're eating WHAT?!
- Lord Stern interview on the BBC
- Dirty Coal strikes! Here and Now!
- Give Coal the Boot!
- Fair Trade?
- Ancient Carbon Sequestration technology discovered...
- Bill Moyers interviews Michael Pollan
- First Solar Cargo Ship sets sail
- ▼ January (27)