Are you a conscious consumer or even better a mindful citizen? Is Fair Trade a means to that end or not? Personally, I look for local organic, if that is not available I look for organic, then local, and then fair trade. I suppose one of the reasons I don't buy more Fair Trade is because I tend to avoid buying stuff from far flung locales, for example, I don't drink coffee, and I don't buy banana's. My weakness is dark chocolate and I usually end up with fair trade organic Divine chocolate available here in the UK.
Here's a link to an excellent discussion on Fair Trade over on AltGlobe.
What have you done today to lower your impact?
We are washing away the foundations of our existence on every front. It is high time we move from crashing about on the planet like a bull in china shop and find a way to go forward with intent. We must find systems of living based on sustainability. The systems and tools exist, it is up to each of us to adopt them.
- ► 2012 (12)
- ► 2011 (60)
- ► 2010 (159)
- Corn Syrup contaminated with Mercury
- Secrets of a Lunatic Farmer
- Guerrilla gardening for greener cities
- Livestock Stats
- Why Buy Organic?
- Wes and Wendell at NYTimes
- Jane Goodall On Overpopulation on Celsias.com
- Tim DeChristopher, a real American Hero
- Congratualtions World!
- Tips From Organic Consumers Association
- Welcome Tristan Of East Africa Trust
- Start a Farm in the Heart of the City
- Skating on Thin Ice
- Favorite Quote and short discussion
- Save Money and Power: Easy Steps to A Greener Comp...
- Sheffield Star online post #7 - by Robb
- Welcome to Clifford Wirth Ph.D
- Oil peaked in 2008 - by Clifford Wirth Ph.d
- The German Perspective Pt 1: Difficulties with Cli...
- You're eating WHAT?!
- Lord Stern interview on the BBC
- Dirty Coal strikes! Here and Now!
- Give Coal the Boot!
- Fair Trade?
- Ancient Carbon Sequestration technology discovered...
- Bill Moyers interviews Michael Pollan
- First Solar Cargo Ship sets sail
- ▼ January (27)