What have you done today to lower your impact?

We are washing away the foundations of our existence on every front. It is high time we move from crashing about on the planet like a bull in china shop and find a way to go forward with intent. We must find systems of living based on sustainability. The systems and tools exist, it is up to each of us to adopt them.

Blog Archive

Saturday 5 June 2010

Video - A food Desert in the Delta

Since I moved to North Carolina I've really noticed the distance one has to travel to get to a Farmers Market, twice a week in downtown Hickory, or a supermarket. I'm fortunate, I can walk to a supermarket through neighborhoods, many are accessible only via large roads and are clearly designed to accessed by car. I've also noticed that the underprivledged areas of town seem to have mostly convenience stores, for them it is a food desert. I've heard there is a community garden growing food for the soup kitchens but it is way out of town. I hope to find out more about it soon.

Read more about food deserts at the Agricultural Law site and watch the PBS video.


No comments: