This video is hard to watch but the realities of factory farming need to be seen. I still eat chicken, I still eat eggs. I avoid chicken that I myself haven't purchased, free range only and organic if I can get it, and I only buy free range eggs. I don't know what happens to the male chicks on or prior to a free range farm. Any one out there can tell me? I think I need to do better. Here is the blurb from the makers of the video;
"Thrown, dropped, mutilated, and ground-up alive. This is the disturbing reality faced by hundreds of thousands of chicks each day at the world's largest egg-laying breed hatchery Hy-Line International in Spencer, Iowa.
New hidden camera footage obtained at this facility during a http://www.MercyForAnimals.org undercover investigation gives a disturbing glimpse into the cruel and industrialized reality of modern hatcheries.
The warm, comforting, and protective wings of these newly hatched chicks' mothers have been replaced with massive machines, quickly moving conveyor belts, harsh handling, and distressing noise. These young animals are sorted, discarded, and handled like mere cogs in a machine.
For the nearly 150,000 male chicks who hatch every 24 hours at this Hy-Line facility, their lives begin and end the same day. Grabbed by their fragile wings by workers known as "sexers," who separate males from females, these young animals are callously thrown into chutes and hauled away to their deaths. They are destined to die on day one because they cannot produce eggs and do not grow large or fast enough to be raised profitably for meat. Their lives are cut short when they are dropped into a grinding machine tossed around by a spinning auger before being torn to pieces by a high-pressure macerator.
Over 21 million male chicks meet their fate this way each year at this facility.
For the surviving females, this is the beginning of a life of cruelty and confinement at the hands of the egg industry. Before even leaving the hatchery they will be snapped by their heads into a spinning debeaker a portion of their sensitive beaks removed by a laser. Workers toss and rummage through them before they are placed 100 per crowded box and shipped across the country.
The callous disregard for animal welfare at this facility is not isolated. In fact, the conditions documented during this investigation are completely standard and acceptable within the commercial egg industry. Referred to by Hy-Line corporate leaders as mere "genetic products," these chicks are treated just as they are viewed as inanimate objects, rather than the sentient creatures they are.
Driven by consumer demand, the egg industry will continue to exploit, abuse, and kill day-old animals as long as doing so remains profitable. Empowered consumers can put their ethics on the table by choosing kindness over cruelty at each meal by adopting an animal-friendly vegan diet. "
What have you done today to lower your impact?
We are washing away the foundations of our existence on every front. It is high time we move from crashing about on the planet like a bull in china shop and find a way to go forward with intent. We must find systems of living based on sustainability. The systems and tools exist, it is up to each of us to adopt them.
- ► 2012 (12)
- ► 2011 (60)
- ► 2010 (159)
- World Oil Production Forecast - Update November 20...
- Video - Contraction and Convergence animation from...
- My permaculture education begins!
- Video - Ted Talks - Rob Hopkins - Transition to a ...
- Videos - Tim Jackson - Prosperity without growth
- Video - Ted - Rachel Pike: The science behind a cl...
- Video - FAIR FOOD: FIELD TO TABLE
- The climate train has left the station.
- Video - Princes Rainforest Project - Prepare for C...
- Video - California could dry up and blow away
- Transition Bermuda solar batch heater wins an inno...
- Video - Cole's Carbon Credit Clearing House
- Dirty Coal, at it again!
- IEA has been intentionally misleading us about pea...
- Video - RMI 125 Corporate Leadership and restorati...
- Restorative Business
- Video - Hatchery Horrors
- video - Earthships 1/3 Michael Reynolds The Garbag...
- Half measures won't cut it! Business as Usual is o...
- Video - Coal River Mountain, WV: Coal River Wind P...
- The Official Meatrix I
- The Official Meatrix II: Revolting
- The Official Meatrix II ½
- ▼ November (23)