This animation from The Age of Stupid is a quick and concise explanation of the concept of Contraction and Convergence, a framework for the equitable powerdown from our disastrous oil dependence.
Here is the blurb from the Global Commons Institute website;
"Contraction and Convergence, C&C, is a scheme to provide a framework for a smooth transition to a low level of CO2 emissions from human activity. It can either follow or replace the Kyoto protocol. The first step in C&C, 'Contraction', is based on agreeing a safe target concentration level and the determination of global annual emissions levels into the which should take the atmosphere to that target. We assume that what is 'safe' would be determined by an international agreement, probably by the UNFCCC acting under guidance from the IPCC. A profile of plausible annual emissions levels can be set by GCI's CCOptions model. We project forward to 2200.
Having defined a global budget, the second step, 'convergence' defines allocations to each country. CCOptions assumes that each country is assigned annual allowances which vary, per capita, linearly, starting from actuals in 2000 and converging to a common level of per-capita emissions in a target year. This target year need not be the same as the contraction target year and is a likely topic for political negotiation.
A cap year can be set so that population growth after that year does not accrue additional emissions rights.
The C&C package is expected to be completed with an emissions-trading mechanism and with a governance framework including penalties for non-compliance."
What have you done today to lower your impact?
We are washing away the foundations of our existence on every front. It is high time we move from crashing about on the planet like a bull in china shop and find a way to go forward with intent. We must find systems of living based on sustainability. The systems and tools exist, it is up to each of us to adopt them.
- ► 2012 (12)
- ► 2011 (60)
- ► 2010 (159)
- World Oil Production Forecast - Update November 20...
- Video - Contraction and Convergence animation from...
- My permaculture education begins!
- Video - Ted Talks - Rob Hopkins - Transition to a ...
- Videos - Tim Jackson - Prosperity without growth
- Video - Ted - Rachel Pike: The science behind a cl...
- Video - FAIR FOOD: FIELD TO TABLE
- The climate train has left the station.
- Video - Princes Rainforest Project - Prepare for C...
- Video - California could dry up and blow away
- Transition Bermuda solar batch heater wins an inno...
- Video - Cole's Carbon Credit Clearing House
- Dirty Coal, at it again!
- IEA has been intentionally misleading us about pea...
- Video - RMI 125 Corporate Leadership and restorati...
- Restorative Business
- Video - Hatchery Horrors
- video - Earthships 1/3 Michael Reynolds The Garbag...
- Half measures won't cut it! Business as Usual is o...
- Video - Coal River Mountain, WV: Coal River Wind P...
- The Official Meatrix I
- The Official Meatrix II: Revolting
- The Official Meatrix II ½
- ▼ November (23)