What have you done today to lower your impact?

We are washing away the foundations of our existence on every front. It is high time we move from crashing about on the planet like a bull in china shop and find a way to go forward with intent. We must find systems of living based on sustainability. The systems and tools exist, it is up to each of us to adopt them.

Blog Archive

Thursday 18 June 2009

Solar water heater update

It became apparent that the solar hot water heater I built from recycled materials had a problem. I noticed that there was always moisture on the lower sides of the tank and a small puddle on the bottom. I gave it over a week to dry but it never did. Obviously, it was leaking. All the plumbing joints were tight so there was some sort of problem inside the tank. I decided to remove the tank and replace it with another recycled one that was in better shape. I closed the valves to remove the heater from the system and was quite excited when I broke the connection on the hot water side at the tank. The water that spurted out was hot enough to shower in! I drained the tank and used the water in the garden. Even the water at the bottom of the tank was lukewarm. This was after only a half day of sun. I'm sure that the constant moisture on the outside of the tank was cooling it as well so I have high hopes for the system with the new tank.

No comments: