As reported over at Organic Consumers Association
"The American Academy of Environmental Medicine was founded in 1965, and is an international association of physicians and other professionals interested in the clinical aspects of humans and their environment. The Academy is interested in expanding the knowledge of interactions between human individuals and their environment, as these may be demonstrated to be reflected in their total health. The AAEM provides research and education in the recognition, treatment and prevention of illnesses induced by exposures to biological and chemical agents encountered in air, food and water. .... Wichita, KS - The American Academy of Environmental Medicine (AAEM) today released its position paper on Genetically Modified foods stating that "GM foods pose a serious health risk" and calling for a moratorium on GM foods. Citing several animal studies, the AAEM concludes "there is more than a casual association between GM foods and adverse health effects" and that "GM foods pose a serious health risk in the areas of toxicology, allergy and immune function, reproductive health, and metabolic, physiologic and genetic health." The AAEM calls for:
* A moratorium on GM food, implementation of immediate long term safety testing and labeling of GM food.
* Physicians to educate their patients, the medical community and the public to avoid GM foods.
* Physicians to consider the role of GM foods in their patients' disease processes.
* More independent long term scientific studies to begin gathering data to investigate the role of GM foods on human health.
"Multiple animal studies have shown that GM foods cause damage to various organ systems in the body. With this mounting evidence, it is imperative to have a moratorium on GM foods for the safety of our patients' and the public's health," said Dr. Amy Dean, PR chair and Board Member of AAEM. "Physicians are probably seeing the effects in their patients, but need to know how to ask the right questions," said Dr. Jennifer Armstrong, President of AAEM. "The most common foods in North America which are consumed that are GMO are corn, soy, canola, and cottonseed oil." The AAEM's position paper on Genetically Modified foods can be found at http:aaemonline.org/gmopost.html. AAEM is an international association of physicians and other professionals dedicated to addressing the clinical aspects of environmental health. More information is available at www.aaemonline.org."
What have you done today to lower your impact?
We are washing away the foundations of our existence on every front. It is high time we move from crashing about on the planet like a bull in china shop and find a way to go forward with intent. We must find systems of living based on sustainability. The systems and tools exist, it is up to each of us to adopt them.
- ► 2012 (12)
- ► 2011 (60)
- ► 2010 (159)
- Delegating to Nature: Saskia Sassen on Urban Susta...
- Food Demand Likely to Outpace Production
- Why are we wasting time?
- Calculating Coal’s Toll
- Bermuda garden #1
- A loo made of poo makes energy for you
- Peak oil is likely to be much worse than previousl...
- Changing the scale of change
- Are we propping up brutality in Iran?
- Having a bit of Thiabendazole with that apple?
- Cancelling Catalogs; A gift whose time has come
- Mountaintop removal protest ends in arrest for Jam...
- Union of Concerned Scientists online book
- Transition in the US media
- Does your TV watching drive needless consumerism?
- The first large scale test of Vehicle to Grid tech...
- First Harvest with the First Lady
- 2009 International Energy Outlook from the Energy ...
- Solar water heater update
- 350.org - In every corner of the globe...
- A clarification from NPR regarding Monsanto ads
- What does the future climate of the US look like?
- Mediocrity is unacceptable.
- The tyranny of the lawn
- Re-use in action, the High Line project
- Some thoughts about water
- Still relevant - RFK challenges GDP
- Doctors call for a moratorium on GM Foods
- A sure fire route to happiness; reduce dependence ...
- A simple recycled materials passive solar batch wa...
- Stop Monsanto's Genetically Engineered Wheat
- OCA Web Video of the Week: The Genetic Conspiracy ...
- What's wrong with genetic engineering the food sup...
- 10 Tips for Eating Healthier from the Good Guide
- ▼ June (34)