As reported over at The Future is Green;
"In today's New York Times, Thomas Friedman again reminds us that we are Ahmadinejads enablers, and that . . ."the one thing we could do, without firing a shot, that would truly weaken the Iranian theocrats and force them to unshackle their people . . . is to end our addiction to the oil that funds Iran’s Islamic dictatorship. Launching a real Green Revolution in America," he writes, "would be the best way to support the “Green Revolution” in Iran.....
Friedman's column, "The Green Revolution(s)," is well worth reading. He points out that we could effect change in Iran and other petro-dictatorships simply by cutting our oil use. And the way to achieve that, he says, is to impose ". . . an immediate “Freedom Tax” of $1 a gallon on gasoline — with rebates to the poor and elderly — [It] would be a triple positive: It would stimulate more investment in renewable energy now; it would stimulate more consumer demand for the energy-efficient vehicles that the reborn General Motors and Chrysler are supposed to make; and, it would reduce our oil imports in a way that would surely affect the global price and weaken every petro-dictator."
What have you done today to lower your impact?
We are washing away the foundations of our existence on every front. It is high time we move from crashing about on the planet like a bull in china shop and find a way to go forward with intent. We must find systems of living based on sustainability. The systems and tools exist, it is up to each of us to adopt them.
- ► 2012 (12)
- ► 2011 (60)
- ► 2010 (159)
- Delegating to Nature: Saskia Sassen on Urban Susta...
- Food Demand Likely to Outpace Production
- Why are we wasting time?
- Calculating Coal’s Toll
- Bermuda garden #1
- A loo made of poo makes energy for you
- Peak oil is likely to be much worse than previousl...
- Changing the scale of change
- Are we propping up brutality in Iran?
- Having a bit of Thiabendazole with that apple?
- Cancelling Catalogs; A gift whose time has come
- Mountaintop removal protest ends in arrest for Jam...
- Union of Concerned Scientists online book
- Transition in the US media
- Does your TV watching drive needless consumerism?
- The first large scale test of Vehicle to Grid tech...
- First Harvest with the First Lady
- 2009 International Energy Outlook from the Energy ...
- Solar water heater update
- 350.org - In every corner of the globe...
- A clarification from NPR regarding Monsanto ads
- What does the future climate of the US look like?
- Mediocrity is unacceptable.
- The tyranny of the lawn
- Re-use in action, the High Line project
- Some thoughts about water
- Still relevant - RFK challenges GDP
- Doctors call for a moratorium on GM Foods
- A sure fire route to happiness; reduce dependence ...
- A simple recycled materials passive solar batch wa...
- Stop Monsanto's Genetically Engineered Wheat
- OCA Web Video of the Week: The Genetic Conspiracy ...
- What's wrong with genetic engineering the food sup...
- 10 Tips for Eating Healthier from the Good Guide
- ▼ June (34)