Boy am I relieved. Now that John McCain has an "energy expert" as a VP candidate I can sleep better at night knowing that the US energy future is secure.
What with 45 new Nuclear power plants providing 3 QBtu's by 2030 and all that wonderful offshore oil he wants to drill for providing .5 QBtu's by 2030 I'm sure we will be just fine. After all, projections indicate that with business/growth/lack of foresight as usual the US will need a mere 118 QBtu's by 2030.
So, hmmm, that's 2.5% from 45 nuclear plants at the cost of how many billions per plant, $4.9 billion per reactor or there abouts. Not to mention the unknown costs of decommissioning and waste storage, two things we don't even know how to do safely yet. And let's not forget that the fuel is set to get really scarce in about 40 years which will drive up the costs considerably.
Thankfully if we allow the oil industry, those trustworthy fellows who have taken such good care of us up to now, to despoil our coastlines we'll get a staggering .42% of our needs there. And goodness knows if McCain follows GW's lead, which McCain reminds us he has done 90% of the time up till now, he won't even make his oil buddies pay any royalties not to mention the billions of corporate welfare those cash strapped good ole boy American oil prospectors deserve and demand from the taxpayers of America.
Yessirree I feel loads better knowing he's got an "energy expert" helping him draft his bold new energy plan.
To find out more and to see a plan that could really deliver us from all evil, at least some of the evils that have been foisted upon us up until now by the Republicans, check out;
Thanks to Architecture 2030 for the graphics and figures for this post.
What have you done today to lower your impact?
We are washing away the foundations of our existence on every front. It is high time we move from crashing about on the planet like a bull in china shop and find a way to go forward with intent. We must find systems of living based on sustainability. The systems and tools exist, it is up to each of us to adopt them.
- ► 2012 (12)
- ► 2011 (60)
- ► 2010 (159)
- ► 2009 (353)
- James H Kuntsler
- School food and family farms
- Apologies from Robb
- Climate-proofing the World\'s Food Supply | Use Ce...
- John McCain: We know you by now ... | Use Celsias....
- 9 Ways To Go Local
- California, America\'s ‘Leader of the Pack\', to A...
- No Child Left Inside: Why We Need to Get Kids Outs...
- Debt, usury, and plunder of the commons
- Bye Bye Buzz?
- Whew! At last an "energy expert" VP! - By Robb
- Soil, organics, and Co2 - by Robb
- Count your blessings
- #5 Sheffield Star Green Scene Submission - by Robb...
- The Bad, the Worse and the Downright Lethal | cels...
- The Other Bail-Out | celsias°
- The Green Collar Economy: How One Solution Can Fix...
- Musings on science, religion, and us - By Robb
- The stove - by Robb
- Industrial Agricultural menace
- 2nd Free From Power Day Report - By Robb
- October Free from Power Day
- Crimes against humanity?
- Those who choose to ignore history..........
- Where's POGO?
- Wild food #1 - Yew Berries
- Broccoli Set to Rewrite Patent History in Europe |...
- ▼ October (28)