There really is no substitute for honeybees. Whether it's the gazillion tonnes of pesticides we pollute our food, land and water with every year, an Israeli virus, extreme lack of diversity through our insane enslavement to monoculture, or genetically modified plants, the honey bees are dying at an alarming rate. They are a vital part of the ecosystem which provides us with food, and everything else we really need for that matter. What can you do about it? Make your yard Bee Friendly for a start. Honey Gal, a teacher of bee stewardship and a contributor to the forum over at the Organic Consumers Association, has these suggestions;
"Plant a flowering herb garden. Bees use herbs medicinally and your plants can help make a difference. I suggest rosemary, sage, THYME (lots of it), marjoram, chives, basil, all the mints and other herbs with flowers. Bees will find them. To do more, plant native flowering bushes, too. In our area (WA) spirea and goldenrod are bee magnets. Try to have flowers in bloom through into fall.
Put out a big shallow dish of water with sticks or moss in it (so they don't fall in) and keep it moist. If you can get seaweed, bees are particularly fond of the minerals so I keep a little pile of seaweed in the "bee pond." All these small actions add up and make it a little easier on your local bees."
You can also support your local organic family farmer by buying his/her produce directly or in locally owned non chain shops.
Organic Consumers Association forum
What have you done today to lower your impact?
We are washing away the foundations of our existence on every front. It is high time we move from crashing about on the planet like a bull in china shop and find a way to go forward with intent. We must find systems of living based on sustainability. The systems and tools exist, it is up to each of us to adopt them.
- ► 2012 (12)
- ► 2011 (60)
- ► 2010 (159)
- ► 2009 (353)
- James H Kuntsler
- School food and family farms
- Apologies from Robb
- Climate-proofing the World\'s Food Supply | Use Ce...
- John McCain: We know you by now ... | Use Celsias....
- 9 Ways To Go Local
- California, America\'s ‘Leader of the Pack\', to A...
- No Child Left Inside: Why We Need to Get Kids Outs...
- Debt, usury, and plunder of the commons
- Bye Bye Buzz?
- Whew! At last an "energy expert" VP! - By Robb
- Soil, organics, and Co2 - by Robb
- Count your blessings
- #5 Sheffield Star Green Scene Submission - by Robb...
- The Bad, the Worse and the Downright Lethal | cels...
- The Other Bail-Out | celsias°
- The Green Collar Economy: How One Solution Can Fix...
- Musings on science, religion, and us - By Robb
- The stove - by Robb
- Industrial Agricultural menace
- 2nd Free From Power Day Report - By Robb
- October Free from Power Day
- Crimes against humanity?
- Those who choose to ignore history..........
- Where's POGO?
- Wild food #1 - Yew Berries
- Broccoli Set to Rewrite Patent History in Europe |...
- ▼ October (28)