Sounds like an oxymoron to me but if anyone can steer us in the direction of sustainable fashion it has to be the Thrifty Chicks.
"Stop! You are being forced into a box and tied up neatly with string and a tag that says SEASONAL TREND. It’s mass marketing and it has you in mind left to ponder the exact bikini you will wear next summer of 2010, now on the eve of September, 2009. It tells you the skirt length this season. It tells you chartreuse is the new black.
Confused? Well of course you are! That’s why it is good to have an idea of fundamental style; something that can be molded into one’s own. Once you have a hand on the idea of the necessary basic foundation of a wardrobe you can add elements that meet contemporary trends without compromising your own unique self, your pocket book, or your dignity. The best part – these wardrobe essentials can be found at your local thrift store. Say no way to the department store Stepford wife keeping up with the Janets you must wear it because we said so style. The Thrifty Chick's idol, Audrey Hepburn was noted for admitting all she really needed for style was a scarf. Style is best served simple." - Thriftfully Modern Mommie
What have you done today to lower your impact?
We are washing away the foundations of our existence on every front. It is high time we move from crashing about on the planet like a bull in china shop and find a way to go forward with intent. We must find systems of living based on sustainability. The systems and tools exist, it is up to each of us to adopt them.
- ► 2012 (12)
- ► 2011 (60)
- ► 2010 (159)
- It is soooo windy here!
- Greenpeace action on Mt. Rushmore
- Sustainable Fashion?
- Water, too precious to waste.
- Health Insurance Reform Reality Check
- Meatless Mondays - what a great idea!
- The Climate Bill is an economic necessity
- Meat Eating is 'Huge Contributor' to Climate Chang...
- Organic food still the best nutritional choice
- A slim population is a more sustainable one.
- Monsanto and Fox News
- Remember when soy was a "healthy" alternative to m...
- No Impact Man - The movie trailer
- Video - "Creepy at the EPA" by Peter Sinclair
- Malawi Newsletter 2009 – 2
- Living with less points out room for improvement
- ▼ August (17)