The US is heavily dependent on food from California. As the article linked to below points out, that food supply is seriously threatened by climate change as the snowpack on the western mountains disappears. The question is, will this threat get translated into aggressive action to mitigate GHG emissions? Will every effort to make substantive progress get undermined by corporate lobbyists looking for sweetheart deals for their industries regardless of the consequences?
Fossil fuel use must be curtailed or we don't have a chance. Leave it in the ground.
Contact your representatives and express your concerns.In the meantime you can reduce your own consumption, of everything. I'd also suggest you get that garden planted and your compost heap started!
Climate Change: Dire Consequences for California's Agriculture over on Celsias
What have you done today to lower your impact?
We are washing away the foundations of our existence on every front. It is high time we move from crashing about on the planet like a bull in china shop and find a way to go forward with intent. We must find systems of living based on sustainability. The systems and tools exist, it is up to each of us to adopt them.
- ► 2012 (12)
- ► 2011 (60)
- ► 2010 (159)
- Peak Oil explained in video
- Foraging in Bermuda - Surinam Cherry
- Richard Heinberg on Resilient Communities-Part One...
- Richard Heinberg on Resilient Communities-Part Two...
- Richard Heinberg on Resilient Communities-Part Thr...
- Richard Heinberg on Resilient Communities-Part Fou...
- Richard Heinberg on Resilient Communities-Part Fiv...
- Richard Heinberg on Resilient Communities-Part Six...
- Sustainability or Resilience?
- Not every barrel of oil is alike.
- Zero Carbon Britain
- Wales, the greenest country on earth?
- Get Former Monsanto Lobbyist off of the Food safet...
- Peak Oil update
- Expecting Grandchildren?
- The Powerdown Show
- Can Genetically modified crops feed the World?
- Energy Payback on Solar Panels
- Non GMO when buying dairy
- The Story of Stuff
- Are you ready to take the No GMO Challenge?
- How CEO's get more pay.
- Moral Offsets for climate destroying behaviours?
- Transition - 400 fruit trees in Kilkenney
- NPR allows Monsanto propaganda on it's programs
- James Howard Kuntsler OCA interview
- New Urbanism vs. Suburbanism
- Smart Grid basics
- Climate Change: Dire Consequences for California's...
- Food Choices and Health
- Ventilation and indoor air quality
- From defunct playset to resilience boosting raised...
- Eat cheaply, eat nutritiously and sustainably.
- The difference between just growing your own and d...
- Fear and loathing fighting Big Dirty Coal
- In Transition -From Oil Dependency to Local Resili...
- Planted your garden yet?
- Americans support regulating Greenhouse Gases
- ▼ May (38)