Will we ever be delivered from the malfeasance of the banksters? We can't trust the government to do it, the fox is in that henhouse. Do it yourself! Disconnect from their profiteering services, cut up your credit cards, divest yourself of unethical stocks, pay off your debt and don't get into debt again, ever.
Lastly and perhaps most importantly, disconnect from consumerism to whatever degree you can. The model that got us into this mess is not the one that will get us out of it.
As published over at Care2Causes by Zach Carter;
"Nomi Prins details the disconnect between Wall Street and the rest of us for AlterNet. The government’s massive giveaways to big banks did not stop with the $700 billion Troubled Asset Relief Program. In fact, earlier this month, the Internal Revenue Service granted Citigroup a $38 billion tax break for, well, nothing. Like every other financial boon the Treasury and the Federal Reserve have granted banks since 2008, this special holiday gift will help boost Citigroup’s profits, but does little to boost lending to small businesses, lower credit card interest rates or help struggling borrowers stay in their homes....
Like dozens of other lenders, WaMu employed extremely lax lending requirements that encouraged outright fraud by loan officers and mortgage brokers. In Guadardo’s case, his broker falsified his income statement to indicate that he made over $8,700 a month, when in fact, he made less than $2,000. WaMu never checked the broker’s records and Guadardo couldn’t decipher the mortgage paperwork until it was too late. Now he can’t pay his mortgage and his bank has not offered him a permanent mortgage work-out that will allow him to stay in his home.....
Massive bailouts for Wall Street have helped save the nation’s largest banks from economic catastrophe. But high stock prices for banks will not benefit the rest of the economy unless the government puts the same effort into saving our communities that it put into saving our financiers."
What have you done today to lower your impact?
We are washing away the foundations of our existence on every front. It is high time we move from crashing about on the planet like a bull in china shop and find a way to go forward with intent. We must find systems of living based on sustainability. The systems and tools exist, it is up to each of us to adopt them.
- ► 2012 (12)
- ► 2011 (60)
- ► 2010 (159)
- "Why We Should All Eat More Organic Food" from OCA...
- Crashing the Corporate Christmas Party
- Video - My Feelings Exactly Mr. Gelbspan!
- Thrift is truly orginal haute couture - The Thrif...
- video - Climate Change Puts Ecosystems on the Run
- Maybe I was too hasty to get depressed about Copen...
- Watch Democracy Now! interview with James Hansen.
- Now that's encouraging!
- Copenhagen!? I couldn't have said it better than M...
- Video - English town's climate lessons from Al Jaz...
- The Prince of Wales' speech at Copenhagen
- Naresh Giangrande interviews Tim Jackson
- Who do you want to control your food supply?
- It's up to us.
- Video - The Story of Cap and Trade
- Global Warming from A to Z
- Hottest decade on record!
- Fascism? Now that's the pot calling the kettle bla...
- Video - Climate Denial Crock of the Week -Smacking...
- Video - Blue Gold: World Water Wars
- Climate change in 6 easy bites by Gavin Schmidt, N...
- Video - Justice Now - Chevron Texaco in the Amazon...
- The 7 Things Scientists Want You to Know About Cli...
- It's Always Christmas Time for Visa!
- Canada going off the deep end!
- Video - COPENHAGEN Lord Monckton rap battles Al Go...
- Will Allen's Good Food Manifesto
- ▼ December (27)