It's not just Evo Morales talking about an international court for the environment. You can hear an interview with Environmental lawyer and judge Stephen Hocking at the One Planet podcast. Check out this article from 2008 in the Guardian. Here is an excerpt;
"As far as the business community is concerned, an international court for the environment would offer a centralised system accessible to a range of actors, an enhanced body of law regarding environmental issues, and consistency in judicial resolution of environmental disputes. Such a court would also bring an increased focus on preventative measures, a set of global standards of care, and the facilitation and enforcement of environmental treaties. In addition, it could persuade the world business community to develop risk-management systems and improve present practices, thereby reducing the likelihood of environmental catastrophe.
Only an impartial adjudicating body is capable of providing the catalyst for a global consensus as to the fairest way to distribute the burdens that accompany solutions to the climate change problem. Whatever difficulties may lie in the path of such solutions, the benefits will be greater."
What have you done today to lower your impact?
We are washing away the foundations of our existence on every front. It is high time we move from crashing about on the planet like a bull in china shop and find a way to go forward with intent. We must find systems of living based on sustainability. The systems and tools exist, it is up to each of us to adopt them.
- ► 2012 (12)
- ► 2011 (60)
- Old things
- An international court for the environment - Steph...
- Video - Sustainability in four simple rules
- Happy Earth Day!
- The AKG Sustainable Living Project podcast episode...
- A Corporate person commits homicide, what punishme...
- Video - Securing Human Well Being in a Resource-Co...
- As We Sow - Part 1
- As We Sow - Part 2
- As We Sow - Part 3
- Sarah Palin's Alaska
- Something to Live Without? A Microwave
- World Bank OKs $3B for World’s 4th Largest Coal Po...
- Food Love: Growing Power (Part 1 of 3)
- Food Love: Growing Power (Part 2 of 3)
- Food Love: Growing Power (Part 3 of 3)
- Going Local - The Small Mart Revolution
- Howard Zinn Quote
- Responsible Adults
- ▼ April (19)
- ► 2009 (353)