What have you done today to lower your impact?

We are washing away the foundations of our existence on every front. It is high time we move from crashing about on the planet like a bull in china shop and find a way to go forward with intent. We must find systems of living based on sustainability. The systems and tools exist, it is up to each of us to adopt them.

Blog Archive

Friday 1 January 2010

Ringing in the New Year, a resolution of simplicity.


















It was a mostly clear night, the blue moon shone through the occasional thin cloud. As I walked home from sharing an organic cider along with lively and productive debate with a good friend, avoiding lingering icy patches, warming my hands with my pipe, the moon began to diminish as the shadow of the earth was cast across it. I don't usually buy into the New Years eve hype but this one felt special, a lunar eclipse to signpost a new era. I felt as if I had been rung like a bell. I relit my pipe and stood stock still, gazing on this beauty offered to me on the last night of the first decade of the 21st century.

And what a decade it has been, as of February it will be a decade since I married my dearest wife, a decade of life in far flung places, adventures on the sea, on the rocks, and in the mountains. A decade of learning, study and action. Half the decade was spent living off grid, a lifestyle that has guided so much of our decision making process ever since.

And unfortunately it has been the warmest decade for the planet ever recorded. As we embark upon, what is likely to be, the new warmest decade ever and face the challenges and responsibilities that will bring, I have found renewed commitment to living a sustainable life to whatever degree is physically and financially feasible. Amongst all the efforts I have made and am committing to make towards that end, I can identify a trend, it is simplicity.

I wish to distill my life down to it's requisite elements; water, food, shelter, love, and community. In so doing I will inevitably, if done mindfully, reduce my carbon footprint, enhance my own quality of life, support those I love, and contribute to my community.

This is my resolution.

Thanks to Tech Dreams for the image.

No comments: